Passport Photo RequirermentsKnow before you apply for a passport everything for your passport photo
Passport Photo Guide
All passport applicants must submit a valid passport photo. Your passport processing may be delayed if you do not submit a photo that meets the requirements set by the U.S. Department of State. We recommend reviewing the passport photo guide to avoid processing delays. The passport photo guide requirements are listed below. If you have any questions about the requirements, we highly encourage you to utilize a professional passport photo app or service.
Passport Photo Guide Requirements:
- Printed in color on photo quality paper
- Correct size: 2 x 2 inches
- Head between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Recent photo taken within last 3 months and reflect your current appearance
- Plain white or off-white background
- Full-face is visible and facing the camera
- Neutral facial expression
- Both eyes open
- Normal, everyday clothing. No uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire should not be worn in photos with the exception of religious attire that is worn daily.
- You may only wear a hat or head covering if you wear it daily for religious purposes. Full face must be visible. Head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
- No headphones, wireless hands-free devices, etc
- Prescription glasses and/or hearing aid may be worn. Make sure there is no glare on the glasses.